Now that was extra prefer it.
“That” refers back to the climate, which in contrast to Tuesday’s oppressive warmth and humidity, was extra of a mild summer season’s day stuffed with sufficient warmth to trigger one to interrupt a sweat but with the humidity changed by a pleasant cross breeze that made Day 2 of the Giants obligatory minicamp simpler to get by way of.
And in the event you assume the media had been the one ones who felt it, the gamers will need to have felt it as effectively. They only appeared to have much more power on Day 2 than they did the day prior to this and had been flying round having a grand outdated time on the market taking part in soccer.
That stated, listed below are a number of takeaways from Day 2.
1. One of many issues I have been questioning about is the “decline” of punter Riley Dixon. In case you’ve been studying my coaching camp breakdowns, I questioned how a lot of an element the revolving door at gunner was a think about Dixon’s down yr.
Effectively, I put that query to particular groups coordinator Thomas McGaughey, and certain sufficient, he confirmed my idea. “Any time you possibly can have continuity at any spot, whether or not or not it’s offense, protection, particular groups, that is what you need,” he stated.
“When you’ve plenty of turnover, issues are totally different. You recognize, whenever you turnover on the offensive line, the chemistry is totally different. Guys should discover ways to work with one another and what steps they take and identical factor with the secondary whenever you’re altering out totally different guys within the secondary–it’s the identical factor. Guys received to know their strengths and weaknesses. It is no totally different in particular groups.”
In a great state of affairs, the Giants discover a receiver for at the very least considered one of their gunner roles as a result of, with a receiver, they’re taught how one can struggle off jams, they usually have a greater monitoring potential to the ball, each transferrable abilities to particular groups.
Why point out this? As a result of the Giants have a little bit of a logjam at receiver the place whoever is on the backside of that depth chart should contribute on particular groups.
So in the event you’re planning on watching practices this summer season (assuming they’re open to followers) or the preseason video games, that is most likely one thing to look at earlier than you make out your last roster prediction sheets.
2. One of many issues I’ve needed to see with quarterback Daniel Jones is how rapidly he is making his reads and getting the ball out of his hand, one thing that he usually struggled with final yr
So for kicks and giggles, I put a stopwatch on a few of Jones’s passes in the course of the 11-on-11. Now earlier than I provide the outcomes, keep in mind that there was no cross rush. I additionally began the clock as soon as Jones accomplished his drop again, be it a three-, five- or seven-step drop. And I solely timed about six passing makes an attempt.
In 4 out of the six, Jones held the ball for at the very least three seconds. If we use Pro Football Focus’s baseline, ideally, you need the quarterback to eliminate the ball in 2.5 seconds or much less.
To recap, PFF had Jones averaging 2.58 seconds final yr on drop-backs to try, 2.71 seconds from the time the ball was snapped to try, and three.05 from drop-back to sack–all excessive numbers that want to return down this yr.
It is nonetheless early, and Jones remains to be creating chemistry along with his new receivers. However that is one thing to control because the summer season progresses.
3. The Giants have spent plenty of work thus far on this camp on vertical passing routes, and Jones has carried out a pleasant job hitting his receivers in stride. And I wrote yesterday of how Kenny Golladay comes over to catch passes from Jones each probability he will get.
Right now was no exception as Golladay was the first receiver for Jones after they had been lobbing the ball round and on drills involving the nook fade cross. Even when it is only a merely tossing of the ball, this work will assist the 2 for when it begins to depend.
4. Receivers Kadarius Toney and John Ross and tight finish Kelvin Benjamin had been on Wednesday’s apply discipline. (Toney and Benjamin left Tuesday’s apply early, and Ross wasn’t noticed (he did not seem to undergo the complete exercise on Wednesday).
However I need to discuss particularly about Toney, who took most of his snaps with the second-team offense quarterbacked by Mike Glennon.
You may definitely see that velocity, quickness, and shiftiness in Toney’s sport, and I feel “electrical” is a good way to explain his play.
There was one play, specifically, that was highlight-reel worthy. Toney lined up towards cornerback James Bradberry throughout a goal-line drill and juked the veteran earlier than coming down with a cross.
It is unclear if Toney, who has been fielding punts on this camp, is a critical contender for the punt returner function. However the prospect of getting Toney compete for the punt returner function has particular groups coordinator Thomas McGaughey excited.
“If you see a man with these sort of traits as a coach, clearly you get excited as a result of these are distinctive ability units,” he stated. “That is why he was drafted within the first spherical. He is a really gifted participant. He is electrical with the ball in his palms.”
5. I do know Saquon Barkley is at all times a narrative, however I like to recommend taking a deep breath for individuals who are anxious in regards to the lack of a return date for the star working again. Barkley does not should be prepared till the season begins, and proper now, he has time on his facet.
I am totally anticipating him to be restricted in coaching camp, and it would not shock me if he begins on the lively/PUP checklist for the primary week or two of camp. Even when he does get the inexperienced mild to return, you possibly can guess he will be on a pitch depend and one which I would not be surprised to see lengthen into the early a part of the common season.
Whereas it could be pure to panic, keep in mind that the Giants are hoping for an prolonged season that features a postseason look. And if giving Barkley a number of further weeks to get himself 100% means sitting him initially of coaching camp all through the preseason and, if want be, for a sport or two to start out the season, it is going to be value it if he is at full energy for the homestretch run.
6. Only a intestine feeling, however I think we’d have seen the final of Jabrill Peppers’ days because the full-time punt returner.
Final season, Peppers completed along with his best punt return average of his profession, 12.5 yards/return, which put him fourth in the league amongst punt returners with at the very least 15 returns. Whereas that is not dangerous manufacturing, one will get the sensation the Giants need to tape into the velocity the Giants have added to the roster that may doubtlessly assist in that function.
“It is plenty of competitors from each place down the board and competitors brings out the very best in all people,” Peppers stated of getting to defend his maintain on the job.
“You recognize, I am prepared to do no matter helps the group. Such as you stated it is undoubtedly going to be aggressive. We’ve plenty of succesful guys that may observe the ball, have good palms and make guys miss in area. It is undoubtedly going to be fascinating to see whoever comes out on prime.”
7. How a lot better will the Giants protection be this yr? Effectively, if they will plan much more man protection, which appears to be the route the unit’s headed given all of the personnel added within the low season, the reply is lots.
“I do know we did not play a ton of man final yr however we picked spots to play man. defensive coordinator Patrick Graham stated. “These guys final yr, they did a great job what we requested them to do.
“I do not know what the recipe goes to be for this yr but. … Will we most likely be in additional man? Probably.”
Extra from Giants Nation
You should definitely hold it locked on Giants Nation on a regular basis!