Because the Miami Dolphins put together for the beginning of coaching camp, we break down each place with a glance again at what occurred within the offseason, what to look at in the summertime and what may occur within the common season.
We proceed the sequence with the broad receivers.
ON THE ROSTER
• Lynn Bowden Jr. — Second 12 months out of Kentucky; entered the NFL as a third-round choose of the Las Vegas Raiders in 2020
• Isaiah Ford — Fourth-year participant out of Virginia Tech; entered the NFL as a seventh-round choose of the Dolphins in 2017
• Robert Foster — Fourth-year participant out of Alabama; entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2018
• Will Fuller V — Sixth 12 months out of Notre Dame; first-round choose (twenty first general) of the Houston Texans in 2016
• Jakeem Grant — Sixth 12 months out of Texas Tech; entered the NFL as a sixth-round choose of the Dolphins in 2016
• Mack Hollins — Fifth 12 months out of North Carolina; entered the NFL as a fourth-round choose of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2017
• Allen Hurns – Seventh 12 months out of the College of Miami; entered the NFL in 2014 as an undrafted free agent
• Kai Locksley — Rookie out of UTEP; entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent
• Kirk Merritt — First 12 months out of Arkansas State; entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent
• DeVante Parker — Seventh 12 months out of Louisville; first-round choose (14th general) of the Dolphins in 2015
• Jaylen Waddle — Rookie out of Alabama; first-round choose (sixth general) of the Dolphins in 2021
• Preston Williams — Third 12 months out of Colorado State; entered the NFL in 2019 as an undrafted free agent
• Albert Wilson — Seventh 12 months out of Georgia State; entered the NFL in 2014 as an undrafted free agent
Jan. 6 — Merritt signed to a futures contract
March 14 — Declined to tender a qualifying supply to restricted free agent Isaiah Ford
March 15 — Hollins grew to become an unrestricted free agent
March 19 — Signed Foster as a free agent
March 23 — Re-signed Hollins as a UFA … Signed Locksley as a free agent
April 29 — Chosen Waddle within the first spherical of the 2021 NFL draft
July 16 — Re-signed Ford as a free agent
Parker: 11 begins, 63 catches, 793 yards, 12.6 common, 4 touchdowns
Grant: 4 begins, 36 catches, 373 yards, 10.4 common, 1 landing
Bowden: 4 begins, 28 catches, 211 yards, 7.5 common, 0 touchdowns
Williams: 7 begins, 18 catches, 288 yards, 16.0 common, 4 touchdowns
Hollins: 2 begins, 16 catches, 176 yards, 11.0 common, 1 landing
It was a turbulent 12 months for the Dolphins broad receivers, beginning with the choices by each Albert Wilson and Allen Hurns in August to choose out due to COVID-19. Then there have been a sequence of accidents, essentially the most notable being the foot subject that sidelined Preston Williams after eight video games for a second consecutive season. DeVante Parker battled nagging accidents on and off and that saved him from having the ability to duplicate his breakout efficiency of 2019. With all of the accidents, seven completely different gamers ended up beginning at broad receiver final season, and that is not counting Malcolm Perry, who was used as a working again/receiver.
What was lacking greater than something from the WR group final 12 months was big-play capability, so the Dolphins made certain to handle that subject within the offseason they usually did that by signing Will Fuller V as a free agent earlier than taking Jaylen Waddle with the sixth choose within the 2021 NFL draft. The Dolphins additionally welcomed again Wilson and Hurns and managed to maintain intact the group from final season.
THE TOP SUMMER STORYLINES
There isn’t any place on the Dolphins roster that can characteristic extra competitors with regards to roster spots as a result of the crew has far more NFL-caliber broad receivers than spots obtainable. So deciding who stays on the 53-man roster would be the first order of enterprise right here. The Dolphins additionally will use the summer season to determine one of the best ways to make full use of Waddle’s apparent bodily attributes. One other factor to look at this summer season is how Wilson and Hurns take care of sitting out final season, in addition to how Williams takes care of a second main damage in two years.
LONG SHOT TO WATCH
Not fairly certain he suits into the “lengthy shot” class, however we’ll put Robert Foster right here as a result of he should not be simply dismissed with regards to making the 53-man roster. In actual fact, Foster was among the many most spectacular broad receivers within the spring practices open to the media and mixed along with his particular groups expertise may earn him a roster spot.
THE KEY SUMMER BATTLE
This one is straightforward, and it is the battle for the final roster spots behind Waddle, Fuller and Parker, who must be the three givens at broad receiver. Essentially the most logical contenders for the ultimate spots embody Bowden, Wilson, Williams and particular groups standouts Hollins and Foster. This one must be enjoyable to look at.
BETTER OR WORSE THAN THIS TIME LAST YEAR
With everyone again and with the additions of Waddle and Fuller, this can be a slam dunk. In actual fact, this may be essentially the most improved group on the complete roster in comparison with the beginning of the 2020 coaching camp.
PROJECTED OPENING-DAY STARTERS
It is really fairly straightforward to undertaking that the three starters at broad receiver in 2021 might be Parker, Waddle (within the slot) and Fuller, however Fuller will not be within the opening-day lineup as a result of he’ll be ending out his NFL suspension. So for that one recreation, we may see the Dolphins opening with simply two broad receiver or perhaps Williams would be the starter exterior reverse Parker (assuming Williams makes the crew).